Pages

Like it? Then share it!

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Steamed Chinese Buns (Man Tou)

Doesn't it feel great to be able to cook once again. After my return, we were off as a family to San Remo for a few weeks hence cooking wasn't as accessible. But that does not stop the passion juices from flowing for I have set out once again, and it looks to be a great year ahead.

Summer's a great time to make breads and buns, either steamed or over baked. Reason being, during the process of making the dough, we need to let the dough proof (or expand) before handling it. And only during summer, is proofing dough most effective.

Making Steamed Chinese Bun has always been a challenge for me, especially when I've experimented countless times. I've tried working with milk, cream etc, none of which has given me the best results. However, I was reading this site which used neither of the above mention. Instead, all they used was water. After so many setbacks, there really was nothing worth losing, hence I gave it a try. And to my amazement, it worked perfectly.

How do I know that? Well, after steaming to know whether your buns are good, when you remove the lid, the buns should retain their shape and not shrivel up into this brain like clump. Enough talk, here are the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment