Pages

Like it? Then share it!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Freezing your overripe bananas; it's a new revelation

Who would have thought! Freezing your overripe bananas. It's a new revelation.



Despite the fact I am a keen baker, there are moments when I really go slack and think 'meh..maybe tommorow', which is why I still have bananas frozen since last year in my freezer; indeed not as productive as I would have thought. Only to be concerned that they would eventually rot, which is possible, I thought I might just have banana bread baking on my agenda today.

Those of you who have made banana bread before, would know how time consuming it can be to mash the bananas into puree. But thanks to the all time genius Crumb Boss, the ones that I froze, once they thawed, was so easy to break down. It literally turned into mush!


Combined with a good banana recipe I had freshly baked banana bread on the kitchen counter an hour later. Now that is what I call a good start to the day. Though I did doubt its texture and all when it came out of the oven. It looked a little dry, but no, I was wrong. As it sat to cool down the top of the bread started to soften, and after slicing it open, I was finally convince this was a success. This day isn't so bad after all. I've got banana bread ready to eat and another baking whist I'm writing this blog.

Sharing is caring so here is the recipe for my faithful readers. I like recipes which call for ingredients that we already have in our pantry. So take my for it, this call for nothing fancy. Just eggs, flour, sugar, bananas, milk, cinnamon powder and butter. If you like, you could also add some chocolate chips or walnuts, whichever tickles your fancy.

Recipe 

Banana Bread (made with frozen, overly ripe bananas- thought I might just add this into the title)

Ingredients
2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cups caster sugar (or soft brown sugar, whichever you like)
1 tsp cinnamon powder

1/2 cup full cream milk
50g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
2 medium sized bananas, mashed

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, and line a loaf pan (standard size) with baking paper.
2. In one bowl, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon powder together.
3. In another bowl, combine the milk, butter, eggs and bananas together. Then pour this wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix until combine.
4. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. My bread required an extra 10 minutes at a lower temperature of 150 degrees celsius.
5. Leave to cool before slicing. This is best kept in a air tight container.

Leave comments below and let me know how your banana bread turns out. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment